From the pen of CB
I’ve spent the last month on the road with John Butler and the Waifs, performing as part of the Union of Soul Tour. This followed on from the incredible, and frankly life-changing Kev Carmody tribute shows in Sydney. Most of you will know that Kev was the songwriter who penned From Little Things Big Things Grow with Paul Kelly. It’s a song that JBT, the Waifs, the Feeding Set and myself sang together every night of our tour. How incredibly precious it felt to spend the night of our historic 12th February 2008 on stage with all of those good people, accompanied by two remarkable generations of indigenous women, singing From LIttle Things Big Things Grow in Toowoomba with the whole of the Empire Theatre joining in. The Empire Theatre is the kind of place where little old ladies take the time to hand-bake biscuits that they leave in your band-room, with a little sign saying “Thank you, from the Friends of the Empire Theatre”. So much of this world runs on the love of volunteers, and good will. That feels truer than ever this week.
What You Wrote
I was there in Toowoomba that night. I bought the tickets to see you play, but loved the entire show. It was an incredible way to start a show with the story of the lost son who they will never now know. Thank you for such a wonderful and meaningful show!”
by Katie – 24th February 2008, 11:46pm
- “Dear Clare and the Feeding Set,I just had a little tear listening to Between The Tea and The Toast, thinking about my wonderful partner. Thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt music. It touches my life in a lovely way.Kate in Brunswick.”
by Kate – 27th February 2008, 10:45am
Thank you so much for the show at Toowoomba. It felt so intimate and special, being on that historic day. When everyone was on stage singing the gereat “From Little Things Big Thing Grow”, it was simply amazing. Best show I’ve ever been to!”
by Jo Slatter – 29th February 2008, 4:39pm
Toowoomba was a magic night!!
thanks to the Empire Theatre
you have a new friend and fan in me
by lorraine – 2nd March 2008, 9:25am
- “Clare and Feeding Set,
your new album is beyond awesome! my girlfriend, Nicole, plays it all the time! she cant get enough of your concerts either. i think ‘I love the way you talk’ is one of the coolsets songs around! the guitar is awesome! Nicole likes ‘When the lights went down’. all awesome songs! you’ve touched all of us in some way with the songs!
keep it up!”
by NicN – 8th March 2008, 3:07pm
- “Hi,I just wanted to say that I love the new album so much. If my baby girl – who incidentally is named Asha – is crying, I put it on and she calms down and starts cooing. The only time I have been lucky enough to see you live is supporting James Blunt a few years ago, so cannot wait to see you again. Beautiful beautiful music!!!!!!”
by Deborah – 19th March 2008, 4:19pm
- “Gosh what to say, but i fell in love with you Clare! I feel at home when i have your records on. I love the way you can take an common event and make it one of spectacular meaning and beauty. From the bottom of my heart i thank you. Keep making music!”
by Hollie – 22nd March 2008, 6:18pm
- “Hi ClareAs an group of Aussies living in London we really do miss a lot of things about home. Tim tams, twisties and good Aussie music.We have never missed a gig of yours in Melbourne and after being away for 12 months we are really missing your live shows.
That’s why we get together every Sunday and listen to your CD!
Come on over to London and give us Aussies a treat!
by Chris – 28th March 2008, 3:42am
- “Hey there Clare!
I admitedly didnt know much about you until the Union of Souls Tour, being a JBT fan i turned up waiting to see John, but you blew me away. Your overall attitude is amazing, your songs are just a story of my life and i felt so connected listening to you… thankyou… you truly are beautiful!
I now own your albums and am talking about you to everyone i know (and dont know!!)
Cannot wait to see you play again
by Christie – 15th April 2008, 10:36pm
- “I heard some of your songs on the radio, and thought I should check out your myspace page.
And now im hooked.
I love your voice and your lyrics.
Your music is so beautiful and meaningful.
I canâ€™t wait till you play in Sydney, I really want to see you live!!
I love all your songs but I have to say I like â€œyou look so goodâ€ the best.
Keep making music, the industry needs more artists like you!
by Gemma – 20th April 2008, 12:00pm
- “Hello Claire,
I know its been an while since you played in toowoomba but i stumbled across your site and i just want to say you’re unbelievable. You have influeced my own songwriting into a completely new direction….. a better one. thank you. hope i seen you again real soon. ”
by Corrie – 22nd April 2008, 9:05am
- “Hi Clare,
Thankyou so much for coming out to play in questionable weather to a small (but appreciative)crowd on Sunday at Scarborough Beach.
My friend and I really enjoyed your show, as always loving a good sing along and giggle at the dancing kids (do you get them at every show?!)
Thanks again, can’t wait to catch you again on your next trip over the west!
by Char – 22nd April 2008, 8:39pm
- “I was at the Toowoomba show, you were amazing. The main reason I went was to see you . I had so much fun that night. The speech at the beginning was so moving, truly amazing. You can’t imagine the excitement I felt when i say you walk on stage. Then when you actually sang with JB I was amazed. It was great to see two of my favorite musicians playing together. Thank you. ”
by Sarah – 24th April 2008, 8:33pm
- “To the most lovely Clare,Please, please, please, please, please, won’t you add a Canberra date to your solo winter tour? Couldn’t get to see you at the last festival you were at down here… I have an awesome memory of seeing you at Tilley’s in July 2006, and I bought your latest album (of the time) just because of that show. I adore your gentle, clear style, and a particular few of your songs are special because of lyrics that get me in a certain way. Would love to hear you again this winter – so pleaaaase would you reconsider coming to Canberra?cheers from
by Kate – 3rd May 2008, 9:58am
- “Hi Clare (and The Feeding Set),
Your music is utterly beautiful. I can’t get enough of listening to ‘The Moon Looked On’- each song paints a new scene and emotion. Everything; the lyrics, the melodies, the instrumentation, seem richly full of meaning and honesty, whether sensitive, sad, gutsy or joyous. Thank you, it is truly inspiring.
I was so excited when I heard about the ‘Winter Secrets Tour’ – and went straight to your website to check the dates. But unless I’m mistaken, your Adelaide show is not for ‘all ages’ and when I found out, I was so disappointed… I’m under 18, obviously. I hope I’ll see you soon, if not this time.
by Gypsy – 3rd May 2008, 7:19pm
- “Hey Clare [and the whole F’ing Set],There’s a fine line between poetry and music and after listening to all your albums I can’t remember what it was.Never have I encountered something so open-hearted, compelling, honest, raw, beautiful and so incredibly sweet.
Each time I hear your music I’m amazed by how profound the emtions are – all those feelings most are incable of articulating.
You’re talented beyond belief; a great role model.
Love Laura xox”
by Laura Shomali – 20th May 2008, 9:38pm
- “You guys should have made plans to make your way down to jindabyne on your winter secrets tour, what better way to celebrate the winter than in the heart of a little town obsessed with the whole season ill be missing out on the bangalow show which undoubtedly will be wonderful because ill be down frolicking in the snow oh well have a blast on tour guys hopefully ill catch a gig somewhere xoxoxox”
by kel – 23rd May 2008, 7:00pm
- “Clare, such a lovely earthy voice, with so many colours to it. I have been listening for many years and I love the new album, it goes above and beyond anything I could have imagined, see you in Tassie!”
by Jenberry – 1st June 2008, 3:40pm
- “Clare, you were absolutly amazing at Raw Vibes in rainy Mossvale Park.
Funnily enough, when you played, the sun came out, and im sure if i had looked outside the little shelter we were in, i wouldve seen a nice bright shiny rainbow. But i didnt because i was too captivated by your beautiful sounds.
Thank you for coming out to our little place, in the middle of nowhere, to play for us all. It was greatly apppreciated.”
by Hayley – 3rd June 2008, 8:55pm
- “Hi Clare & Marty,
Just a quicky to say hi, you rock, love love love the new album!!!! We feel blessed to have shared a meal with you guys at Dan and Johns up this way last time. Bet the little tackers are growing fast & keeping you busy – if they’re with you on the winter tour do drop by our farm for a rumble!!! We’re 5mins from Bangalow. Look forward to seeing you both again at Bangalow ANI Hall…. Oh, and Tom likes the look of that Guitar up for grabs, so you may just get a entry from him in the next few days! ……..‘Whatever your doing, love yourself for doing it’ ”
by Trace n Tom – 5th June 2008, 2:45pm
- “thanks for signing my Grandma Lilli Ann’s Colorado licence.If she only knew that it said “Love to all Matriarchs.” It meant alot to me that you saw something she never would. She was a singer, but never got sing her soul.”
by Michelle – 8th June 2008, 10:52pm
Your music so refreshing. It is rare to hear such honest, raw, and deeply personal music, especially from such a young artist. Your lyrics are simple and pure, but exceptional. It takes me to another place, and one which I struggle to leave when the music stops!
Can’t wait to see you in Melbourne!
Keep on rocking in the free world.
by Maria – 19th June 2008, 3:05pm
- “Think your music and song writing is the” Bees Knees” and so does my daughter, who’s aged 8 ((and who ,by the way seems to know 99% off by heart the words to your last two albums!!)) but unfortunatly because of her age she is too young to attend any of your live concerts with me and she’s pretty bummed out about that. We are currently living in South Australia (and so cannot go to ‘Jive’ to see) and in a couple of weeks are moving to Victoria (and are also unable to see you at ‘Rubies’ or ‘Corner Hotel’) so from one mother to another “keep up the great ‘inspirational’ work and we will be seeing you when she turns 18 or unless you manage to play at a venue for your slightly younger fans” forever your fans…dejtaas”
by jane – 20th June 2008, 9:50am
- “Clare,It was such a priviledge to have the opportunity to sing with you on Friday night at Jive and to experience the magic of your music on stage. It was one of those moments that I will without a doubt never forget and the highlight of my journey as a singer songwriter so far! In the midst of that crazy, spontaneous night I never had the chance to actually tell you that for years your songs have been such an incredible source of inspiration and light to me as a singer songwriter, a mother and an individual. You have this way of telling a story and have a voice unlike any other artist I have seen, and I admire your work beyond words. It’s amazing because I was thinking of entering your competition to sing with you when you came to Adelaide but alas, I could not find a guitarist to record with as mine moved to Darwin recently. It’s been hard getting started here in Adelaide because it’s so small, and up until your gig on Friday I had been incredibly discouraged as to where I was heading musically. I felt stuck, like I wasn’t moving. Getting up on stage and singing ‘Lips like Oranges’ with you gave me this epiphany, that has urged me not to give up but rather to keep searching and keep singing. Thank you again for sharing your beautiful gift with me, and all us folk in little Adelaide!! And thank you to Hot Little Hands- they rock! You are amazing and I hope to sing with you again in the not too distant future. I would actually love to get in touch with you at some point and have a chat about how you began your journey as a singer songwriter, it would be fantastic to get your advice and support on how to get started, particuarly in Adelaide. But being a mother myself, I understand that you are a very busy lady with plenty on your hands! Sometimes I feel like I need 5 hands instead of two! Ruben and teaching keeps me on my toes, that’s for sure. But if you ever have the time, I would appreciate it so much. Have a fabulous time in Germany singing your gorgeous tunes- I look forward to seeing you play in Adelaide again!!Angela ”
by Angela Panousakis – 23rd June 2008, 1:40pm
- “Hello Clare & The Feeding Set,You performed a gig in Brisbane about 8 months ago. For months beforehand, I had my tickets and was uber excited (having seen you at The Zoo before that, I fell in love). I was travelling from Toowoomba that night to see you.. and my car broke down 5 minutes out of town to the gig. Needless to say, I couldn’t muster a way to drive 90km to see you in time. It was a very sad day.Honestly and embarrasingly enough, I shed quite a few tears that night!
I’m in NZ now.. perhaps I can catch you someday soon.
by Amie – 23rd June 2008, 7:11pm
- “Dear singer named Clare,
Lovely beauty and lovely voice. As IÂ´m Brazilian, and English is not my mother language, I always start by feeling the harmonics, when IÂ´m listing to some music. “You look so Good” is very very Goooooood!
Are you born redhead? Girl, you are hot pepper!
I liked you!
I hope we could be friends!
So, thank you for this opportunity.
by Valnei Matias – 25th June 2008, 4:28am
- “Hi Clare
Just thought i would let you know I have a special talent!!! I can whistle the ENITRE you look so good! Its taken me a while to get it down pat but u should hear me now!!!
You probably think im weird but your just my favourite and i really cant sing so i just had to think of another way to be a part of your music!
Looking forward to seeing you at the sound lounge!”
by Hollie – 27th June 2008, 4:29pm
- “Hey Clare. My hubby and I thank you for an amazing show at the Basement last night. You are one awesome chick. He has my blessing to have a complete crush on you, girlfriend. Walter rocked, too!”
by Kate – 29th June 2008, 6:22pm
Thank you for your fab gig on Saturday night at the Basement. Your music is great, but I absolutely love your sense of humour, you were hilarious. I had such a wicked time, thank you!!”
by Rebecca – 30th June 2008, 8:01pm
- “I was lucky enough to be at the basement on Saturday night. OH – MY – GOD! It was so much more than a musical show, a spiritual experience. Thanks Clare”
by Deborah – 30th June 2008, 8:22pm